Elizabeth — the name with which the past of Engure parish is linked
Elizabeth Magdalen – Duke Jacob's foster–mother, Duke Friedrich’s widow lived and managed Dobele Castle. She made her own farm of vulnerary plants and pharmacy in Dobele Manor which was famous all over the world. Peasants respected the Duchess very much, they were even afraid of her, because they thought her to be a witch. This can be explained by the fact that she loved walking around to look for vulnerary plants and seedlings; she often cured people of serious diseases.
While Elizabeth Magdalen lived, she always kept in touch with her foster-son Duke Jacob and his family. She experienced with great pleasure Duke Jacobs's first children, his first daughter was named Louise Elizabeth, but his son was named in honour of the deceased husband Friedrich.
During the time of Kurzeme-Zemgale Duchess, several iron manufactories and ore mine established rapidly in the territory of Engure parish. In the 1970s of the 17th century very good iron ore was mined in Lake Engure vicinity, and in 1677 a new manufacture construction was started in Engure.
Duke Jacob's foster-mother Elizabeth was visiting Engure who, with her courtesy and helpfulness, gained the love of local workers. She was considered to be the patroness of the poor, because local residents often enjoyed her expressed religiosity and helpfulness.
In 1810 Empress of Russia Elizabeth arrived in Plieņi to improve her health by swimming in the sea. Everything was done to make the road to the Manor in excellent condition. The road from Tukums to Plieņi was converted into a wide highway: the two highest hills were levelled, the valley was railed off, the bridges were rebuilt. They also took care of convenient driving from Plieņi Manor to the seaside. A big work was done to dig over again the big dune in Pliņciems seaside so that the Empress could reach the beach by driving. The Empress visited Plieņi Manor for six weeks and her main aim was to improve her health and take sea baths twice a day, whatever the weather was.
Plieņi Manor was a big wooden one-storied farm with 20 rooms. There was a masonry barn with a red tile roof and vaulted basements, a small cattle-shed and some one third of a hectare of the land and meadows.